Sunday, June 23, 2013

Wandering

Yesterday I wanted to get back to eating, and so wanted to do a lot of walking, both to access some new places as well as work up an appetite.  I had some places in mind, and with GPS I felt comfortable just getting lost in the areas in between.

I started by walking to the waterfront around Marina Bay to get some sweeping views over downtown and most of the central parts of the city, now that the smog is starting to clear up.  It did not disappoint, this part of town is very well laid out, and you can look in any direction to get a great view.

I then wanted to head out along East Coast Road, where there's a section with some notable food places, and then a few miles farther is East Coast Park which houses a seafood centre and a hawker food court.  Unfortunately East Coast Road is not easily accessible, I think there are some direct but slow bus lines that head out there, and then the MRT parallels East Coast Road but is as much as a mile north of where the food is.  Undeterred, I thought it would be a good opportunity to wander, so I took the MRT and then just got myself lost in side streets.

It worked out great.  This part of town appeared to be relatively affluent suburbs, with nice houses, quiet streets, and little corner parks.  It was a really interesting contrast to the bustle of downtown.  Then the food section along East Coast Road was terrific, as mentioned in the previous post.  Then I set out for the multi-mile walk to East Coast Park, which was similarly interesting, discovering quieter parts of the island, although walking in the 95-degree heat was quite painful.

East Coast Park was very scenic, a beautiful setting on the beach looking out over the ships, and bustling with walkers, joggers, cyclists, and families, and of course, full of delicious food.  It also features a lagoon with an automated wakeboarding tow-line system, which I found very impressive.

It was an awesome day of exploring and eating, tiring but well worth it.











No comments:

Post a Comment