Monday, June 17, 2013

Kicking off

Tomorrow I'm heading to the airport with a suitcase and my passport, but no ticket, and will pick a destination on the spot.

For years, I've talked half-jokingly about how cool it would be to show up at the airport without a destination or a plan and just improvise, but wasn't sure I'd ever actually do it.  But right now I'm leaving my job after almost 7 years and was planning to take a little time off before the next thing, and had been delinquent in actually booking anything, so I realized this was by far the best opportunity I'm likely to have for this, so I better just do it.

To get some background and sanity-check this, I called United to ask about booking tickets at the airport and last-minute travel in general.  I was told that while you can buy tickets from the counter, there's no difference between doing this and buying online or on the phone, and in fact if the airport is busy, the counter agents are likely to ask you to buy on the phone anyway so they can use their time to check in passengers instead.  Also, the airline has no listing of the fares for the day's pending flights even at the airport, so you can't really browse fares and need to provide them with an origin and a destination.  So really you need to use the internet for this anyway, even if booking at the airport.

On the whole, last minute travel did not sound like an insane proposition, so long as you're not darting off to somewhere like Syria that may raise suspicions.  So, this is possibly not a horribly stupid idea.  Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment