Friday, June 21, 2013

The pros and cons of a toxic haze

Today's haze was the worst in the entire history of Singapore.  They have something called the PSI index, where 100 is considered bad, and the previous record high was 226.  Today it hit 401.  It was difficult to see down the street.  My first hotel room smelled like a forest fire.

In addition to ruining a lot of my pictures, a lot of outdoor activites were being canceled, which I discovere the hard way.  After missing out on seeing horse racing in Hong Kong, I was pleased to discover that they do Friday night races here that I'd be able to check out.  So I rode the MRT nearly an hour to the Singapore Turf Club to check out the action, only to find out that due to the haze all races had been canceled, and they were simply showing a video of races in Europe and elsewhere.  So I snapped a few photos o the empty facility and headed back into town.

But on the plus side, when I tried to go to 1-Altitude, the rooftop bar on the highest building in Singapore, I was pleased to find that they had stopped charging their cover, on account of the poor conditions.  Fortunately the smog situation had improved by the evening, so I even wound up with a few reasonable pictures of the skyline.

Bettors awaiting the start of the next European horse race.

Empty seats in the lower grandstand at the Singapore Turf Club.

A Friday night is typically packed but the viewing area was nearly abandoned due the canceled races.

View from the 63rd floor 1-Altitude rooftop bar atop One Raffles Place.

Central bar at 1-Altitude.  Really not great other than the view.

Downtown Singapore skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment