Friday, June 21, 2013

Second day food round-up

Not as many places today, nor were they as good.  The day started off with Iggy's, so I wasn't really hungry the rest of the day and so didn't accomplish that much.

My afternoon snack was chapati with mutton curry and hot chai from Azmi Chapati, which was quite delicious, and worth it for the experience, since that place is a kick and right out of a different era.  I then ventured a few blocks to 320 Below Nitro Cream Cafe, a highly regarded dessert shop that flash-freezes your ice cream using liquid nitrogen, but it was completely closed without explanation.  I didn't feel that bad though (other than wanting something cold), Smitten in San Francisco does the same thing, and to me it's just a gimmick, the ice cream is not better for having been freshly frozen, and it's just more expensive and prevents you from doing tastings.

For a late dinner I went to check out hawker offerings at the Tiong Bahru market, though sadly the majority of the stalls had already closed even though it was only 8:30pm, so the pickings were slimmer.  Nevertheless, I finally got to try a carrot cake (a cake made from daikon and rice flour stir-fried with egg and other goodness), as well as mediocre duck noodles.  But a banana shake hit the spot, though after I had already bought it I discovered a place that sells soursop juice, which if you haven't tried before, is among the greatest liquids on the earth.  So that will be top priority tomorrow.

Chapati with keema (mutton curry).
Azmi Chapatis.
Duck noodles at Tiong Bahru market.
Carrot cake.

Banana shake.



No comments:

Post a Comment