Friday, June 21, 2013

New hotel

Before heading off this morning I needed to move hotels first.  I gave myself 2 initial nights in the hotel I hurriedly booked at SFO before departing, to settle in and then I could re-evaluate where I wanted to stay once I was here.  I liked the Wangz Hotel but it wasn't that special, and while central it wasn't walkable to very much, and the weekend rate was very expensive and hardly cheaper than the weekday rate.

I did some more research and settled on the Scarlet Hotel, a boutique hotel in Chinatown.  Using a filter of user ratings greater than 4.0 (out of 5) on hotels.com has proven very effective, I've done this about 5 times now and have never been led astray.  I really love this hotel.  That was not a given, as apparently getting a room with a window is purely by chance, and some people had commented that it is getting run down, so it was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off.  It's elegant, with deep colors, spacious by Singapore standards, has a shower+tub, and they even give you a back scratcher when they turn down your bed with a tag that says "mmm...let me caress your back tonight".

The location is fantastic, it's literally a stone's throw from the Maxwell Food Centre with all the hawker stalls, a block away from dim sum, and twice as close to the MRT as the last hotel.  And it's quite a bit cheaper.  One downside though is it's adjacent to Chinatown's (mostly expat) nightlife, so I can hear music from the room, though fortunately it's quite faint due to good soundproofing.




Downward-slanting hallway (the exterior shot below indicates why).

Sitting room in the lobby.

Hotel Scarlet exterior, showing why the interior hallways slant downwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment