Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day three food round-up

There's a decently well-regarded dim sum place a block from hotel called, appropriately, Yum Cha, so I started there.  Dim sum for one person is a bit of a challenge, you can't get the diversity of dishes, so the challenge is to fend off the cart ladies and focus only on new and unusual dishes.  My haul was, pan-fried prawn buns, chive dumplings, prawn and mango fried rolls, radish toast, xiao long bao (better actually than the mall Din Tai Fung ones from day one), and coconut balls, which seem to be the dim sum take on a macaroon, but soft.

Then it's back over to the hawker food court to try to get soursop juice.  I first find a place that has "soursop drink", which tastes poor and I think is simply a canned beverage poured over ice with soursop pulp added after.  Other stands offer "fresh soursop juice" which is the real deal and awesome.

Later it's a pre-dinner snack of char kway teow, which are flat rice noodles stir fried with cockles, lard pieces, Chinese sausage, egg, and bean sprouts.  It's pretty much Singaporean pad see ew, so it's completely awesome, and I'm hooked.  And for good measure I add to that a soursop and kiwi shake, because how often do you get to order soursop.  On my way out, I see a stall with nothing but a wok and two people preparing some kind of deep-fried dough.  I'm intrigued by any place that only sells one thing as that tends to mean it's interesting, so I get an order of these, which I think are some kind of doughnut filled with a bean paste and coated in sesame seeds and sugar.

In another serendipitous happening in this unplanned trip, it turns out my friend's friend is in Singapore as part of an extended trip motivated by a wedding.  So I met up with her and her family for drinks and dinner, the Singaporean take on Italian food, with a solid lobster pasta.

Pan-fried prawn buns.

Chive dumplings.

Radish toast.

Xiao long bao.

Prawn and mango fried roll.

Soft coconut balls.

Yum Cha restaurant.

Fresh soursop juice.
Char kway teow.

Soursop and kiwi shake.


Sesame doughnuts.

2 comments:

  1. The XLBs look way too big. Pan-fried prawn buns looks really intriguing though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prawn and mango sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete