Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Arrived

It's 12:30 am local time on Thursday, 9:30 am Wednesday in San Francisco, almost exactly 24 hours after I walked into SFO and started figuring out where to go, and I'm here at my hotel in Singapore, the Wangz Hotel, which I booked after simply skimming rates and user ratings on hotels.com for a minute or two.  The hotel is quite nice and comfortable, and I've just noticed while writing this that the shower in my 6th floor room has a full glass window facing the street, so it seems if you opt not to close the shades you can give quite a show to the traffic below.

Flying into Asia always feels like you've landed in the future for some reason, I think it's some combination of bright lights, fog, and big airplanes from exotic carriers.  In this case it's a whole row of giant Singapore Airlines A380s jutting out of the mist.  I like it.

Wheels down to standing in my room was not more than 45 minutes, due to really efficient immigration and baggage claim at Changi (living up to their reputation) aided by my keenness to walk faster than everybody to get to the front of the immigration line, and in turn, the taxi stand.

Overall this was really uneventful considering it was 8,000 miles of travel with pretty much no planning whatsoever, I feel very happy and fortunate about that.  It's time to turn in for the evening, but this was an exhilarating day and I'm pumped for the rest of the week.

1 comment:

  1. Get some singaporean crab! Or get some inspiration from anthony bourdin's layover in singapore.

    ReplyDelete