Friday, June 21, 2013

Iggy's

Started the day with a 5-course lunch tasting menu at Iggy's, in the Hilton.  It's very elegant, with a sleek, whole-wall wooden door that you don't even realize is a door, until you figure out there's a button you push that slides the whole wall open to let yourself in.  Though this elegance is kind of wasted since the entrance is on the floor with the convention rooms at an otherwise tacky Hilton.

The food was very good overall, but not overwhelming, and I would say not really worth going out of the way for.  The hawker food here is so flavorful, that without something significantly more creative than what they served, it's hard to compete with what you get on the street.  Details in the captions.

An aside, when I got the bill, the had accidentally left off one of the two glasses of wine I ordered (though did charge me $13 for water and $8 for an espresso).  I pointed out there mistake, that they had undercharged me, and they corrected it, but there was practically no response other than a little bit of embarrassment.  Am I out of line to think they might have given some more recognition for honesty, simply a thank you if not a comped item?  I remember the same thing happend when I was at a small restaurant in Italy, and the very friendly and appreciative waitress's response was "oh you're such an honest people!"  I don't know what she mean by that though, who are my "people" in this case?  Americans? Jews?  I'm not sure that's an acknowledged reputation for either...



Snack course: fried Japanese river fish, with essence of tomato "beer".

Tuna with potato and broken egg.

Foie gras with truffle, chanterelle, and some mousse thing.

Japanese sardine with tomato, leek, and fenugreek oil.

Wagyu beef with nasu (eggplant) and pink garlic.

Some kind of chocolate dessert, with caramelized bananas and lime, can't remember the full details.


No comments:

Post a Comment